Friday, March 15, 2013

Faux Roman Shade Valance

I've been working on window treatments for another of my neighbors (this makes the third one).  She has a three window bay and a large double window in the eat in portion of her kitchen.  She has white horizontal blinds but was looking for something else - she had some very small triangle valances hanging, but they were really too small for the windows.

So I took her one of my window books and left with her for a couple of weeks.  She decided that she wanted a relaxed roman shade look - but just the faux valance - not a full functional shade.  So we measured the windows (and remeasured) and I told her how much fabric she would need.

She found a Colonial Williamsburg inspired print in red to use - it's really a lovely fabric, I think,

We decided that the shades would be board mounted - meaning the treatment is attached to a board rather than using a rod of any sort.

So my first task was to get the boards - because I had to cut for the return (sides of the board) and I needed to make sure I had the right measurements.

Here is a list of the supplies:

Boards - I used 1x3 by the required length ( I bought 3 - 3 foot and 1 - 6 ft)
Saw - or get them cut to the correct size at the hardware store (I love to get the saw going!)
Fabric
Lining Fabric
Matching Thread
Roman Shade Ring tape
Electric stapler

If I were making fully functional roman shades, I would use loose rings, but for a faux, I find the tape to be better.

One thing I don't like about making window treatments for other people is that I don't have a place to hang them to see how they will really look.  So I'm always worried until they are up at the customers house.

Here is a photo of the valance for the larger window - it has the gathering at the middle as well as the sides.  I think she's going to like them (and I hope her husband is able to put them up ok!)

On to the next project!

Happy Sewing,
Susan



No comments: