You may recall that I was on a quilt frenzy at the beginning of this year. I found this pattern that I really liked, made one in a lap size and then made one that ended up being twin size. They are off being quilted now, I think I will get them back next week and just have the binding left to do.
The pieces from the original pattern range from 1" x 3.5" as the smallest to 3.5" x 5" as the largest. a finished 'block' set measures 7" x 8.5" and then each one is joined with a 1" strip between. Each block consists of 9 pieces.
So to make a queen size I think I would need about 190 blocks, which is over 1700 pieces, not including all the sashing pieces to join them. Sounds like a lot doesn't it?
So I decided to do some quilt math and see if I could get it worked out so the pieces were larger (which would mean less of them). Quilt math isn't always just a matter of multiplying. I calculated if the blocks were 1.5 times and also 2 times larger. 2 times was pretty large, so I decided to try it with the 1.5 times. My math was a little off in a couple of places, and to top it off, I cut all the pieces 1/4" wider than I meant to (I can't read my own writing, I guess). Anyway, since it was an experiment, I adjusted where needed and here's the resulting quilt on the design wall (still have to do sashing and join them all).
With the size adjustments I made, each block ends up being about 11" x 13" and I did 1.5" sashing instead of 1". So to make a queen size, I will need about 80 finished blocks - instead of 190 - which sounds a little more manageable.
I'm not sure I will decide for sure until I get this one put all the way together and toss it on a bed to see.
This one will end up close to 50" x 60" I think, depending on what I do for a border, if anything. I was thinking about some geese - been a while since I've done any....
Stay tuned for the next quilt installment, although it may be a while!